Specialty drugs* are high cost prescription medications designed for complex, chronic conditions like cancer, rheumatoid arthritis and multiple sclerosis. Specialty drugs may be oral or given by injection or infusion. Some may require special handling and administration.
Specialty pharmacies focus on you and your individual health care needs.
As a Medicare Part D member, with access to our large pharmacy network, you may fill your specialty medication at any pharmacy that is able to obtain the drug.
Specialty pharmacies work exclusively with handling and administering complex specialty medications. For members who require specialty medications, these pharmacies employ clinical experts who provide valuable benefits such as:
- Helping you manage your complex condition and medication side effects.
- Providing assistance with navigating your insurance benefit.
- Education and counseling programs on how to safely and effectively take your medication.
Specialty Pharmacies Make Your Life Easier
With a single, toll-free phone call, specialty pharmacies take care of all the details – they will enroll you in the program, contact your doctor for your prescription, and arrange delivery to your home. Member services they offer include:
- Easy refills, refill reminders, and online ordering.
- A team of dedicated pharmacists and medical professionals are available to answer your questions 24 hours a day, 7 days a week via toll-free telephone.
- Coordination of care with your doctor.
We are here to help you find the best fit for your specific need.
Looking for your specialty medication? View our full specialty drug listOpens a PDF.
Obtain your specialty medications at one of our numerous specialty pharmaciesOpen a PDF.
Excellus BlueCross BlueShield is an HMO plan and PPO plan with a Medicare contract. Enrollment in Excellus BlueCross BlueShield depends on contract renewal. Submit a complaint about your Medicare plan at www.Medicare.gov or learn about filing a complaint by contacting the Medicare Ombudsman. Y0028_9775_C.
This page last updated 10-01-2023.